Christmas has been my favorite holiday my entire life, even with my birthday being on Valentine’s Day. My best childhood memories are all centered around the holidays and gathering with my family. Tragedy struck my immediate family 6 years ago on Christmas day, when we loss my grandfather. Christmas was also his favorite holiday and losing him was such a big loss that I was sure Christmas would no longer be my favorite holiday after that year. Although I have my sad moments, I think about how this time of year brought him pure joy to see his family gather and bond, so I make an effort every year to carry that same joy.
Fast forward to 2020, the year we all thought would bring so much clarity. This year has been tough for so many and a complete lifestyle adjustment. I wasn’t in the Christmas spirit until last week. It is difficult to feel joy and happiness when so many have endured so much loss this year. However, making it this far in a pandemic is reason enough for me to feel grateful and celebrate. If you too are struggling with your holiday spirit this year, here are some ways to help:
- Listen to cheerful Christmas music. Music is therapeutic and can really help change your mood.
- Watch Christmas movies. Christmas movies always give me a feeling of nostalgia and make me feel like a kid again.
- Wear holiday-themed outfits. Whether it is festive pjs, socks or an ugly Christmas sweater, your outfit has the power to completely transform your mood.
- Put up holiday decor. You’ll be surprised by the impact of holiday themed decor…instant mood boost! Even holiday scented candles can help.
- Stay connected with your loved ones. Have a virtual party or simply video chat friends and family. Stay connected on social media. You can even send out virtual holiday cards!
- Make holiday treats. Gingerbread houses, cookies, s’mores, hot chocolate, peppermint treats, etc.
- Play games. Games are a fun past time, especially in the midst of quarantine. Another thing I love that makes me feel nostalgic.
- Go look at Christmas lights. Take a trip around your neighborhood or parks that do Christmas lighting!
- Make holiday crafts. Check out Pinterest for some holiday craft ideas. This is also a great activity to do with children!
- Give back. Giving back is always a great feeling and knowing that you are helping someone in need especially during this unprecedented time can boost your own spirit!